IgA Nephropathy is the most common glomerulonephritis in the world. And it is also a leading cause of uremia/ESRD. About 40% of IgA Nephropathy patients go into uremia within in 20 years.
Are you IgA Nephropathy patients?
If you have the following 3 conditions, you may have such a disease.
1. Gross hematuria presents immediately or after a period of time when you have upper respiratory tract infection or tonsillitis. Once infections get controlled, gross hematuria gets relieved or disappear.
2. Red blood cells in urine are typical malformed erythrocyte (spore or spine shape), with or without proteinuria.
3. Serum IgA value increases.
In addition, about 50% of IgA Nephropathy patients have high blood pressure.
From the above conditions, you can roughly guess whether you have IgA Nephropathy. The final diagnosis requires renal biopsy.
New drugs for IgA Nephropathy is on the way.
At present, there are no specific drugs for IgA Nephropathy, and no treatment of IgA Nephropathy gets approved by FDA (food and drug administration). This disease is mainly to use ACEI or ARB and other medications to relieve symptoms, but their effect usually can not satisfy the patients.
However, this period of history of IgA Nephropathy may be over soon. Because a newly developed drug named OMS721 is about to emerge.
OMS721 is a monoclonal antibody developed by Omelos Company to target masp-2 (agglutination serine protease 2, an enzyme encoded by masp-2 genes).
How does this new drug treat IgA Nephropathy?
The reason why IgA Nephropathy occues is that a lectin pathway in the immune system is activated, while an important part of lectin pathway is MASP-2 enzyme, which can be blocked by the new drug OMS721.
Simply speaking, this new drug blocks a pathway that causes IgA Nephropathy.
This targeted medicine has 2 advantages:
1. To reduce proteinuria obviously. Phase ii study showed that after 12 weeks’ OMS721 treatment, IgA Nephropathy associated proteinuria got great improvement, and urine albumin/creatinine decreased 77%, and 24h urine protein decreased 73%. This is a boon for steroid-resistant.
2. To have long-term effect. Even if you stop medications, your illness condition can be stabilized so that you won’t have to use medications for long-term. But it has a disadvantage. That is its cost, very expensive.
At present, the phase ii clinical trial of OMS 721 has been successfully concluded. Two months ago, the third phase of clinical trials has began. When it finishes, this new drug will come out. Because of the above two advantages, American FAD has give this drug a green channel and speed up the approval of the listing.
In the 1950s, the appearance of steroids for rheumatoid immune disease made kidney disease treatment go up the first step. In the 1980s and ‘90s, the application of ACEI and ARB in kidney disease treatment make it to the second step.
But these two types of medications can not satisfy the need of kidney disease treatment. We believe that the application of OMS 721 will be the third step of kidney disease treatment. Let’s look forward to a new era of chronic kidney disease treatment. For more information, please leave a message below or contact online doctor.