Fed up with moon face and buffalo hump! How to weaken the side effects of steroids? If you are Nephrotic Syndrome patients, you should be familiar with such a kind of medicine. Most patients have a love-hate relationship with steroids. The reason why they love steroids is that steroids can reduce proteinuria, which is helpful for their recovery. The reason why they hate steroids is that steroids have a lot of side effects, for example, they can make you gain weight. Therefore, some patients, especially young patients do not like it.
Steroids mainly refer to glucocorticoid. The commonly used drugs include prednisone, prednisolone, methylprednisolone, hydrocortisone, etc. Most of their names have “-one”.
Why glucocorticoid causes weight gain?
1. Steroids can affect the deposition of fat on body.
Steroids can cause abnormal deposition of fat. Fat on limbs will decrease, while fat on face and back will increase. This is called central obesity, characterized by moon face and buffalo hump. Though this kind of fat does not affect your health, it can severely affect your appearance. Therefore, Nephrotic Syndrome patients especially young patients do not like it at all.
2. Increased appetite.
Steroid application can increase your appetite. That is mainly because your metabolism increases after taking steroids. Increased appetite can cause overnutrition, leading to obesity.
3. Water and sodium retention
Steroids can decrease the secretion of sodium, while increasing the secretion of potassium. When sodium retains in body, it can increase extracellular fluid, leading to histologic edema.
How to reduce the obesity caused by steroids for Nephrotic Syndrome patients?
1. Control the intake of steroids strictly. Because our body itself can also excrete glucocorticoid, it is better to take steroids at the peak of secretion.
2. Control your food intake. Because of increased appetite, it is likely for patients to eat too much. Therefore, you should control your food intake strictly, and eat more vegetables high in fiber.
3. Control salt intake. You should not only add less salt in food, but also eat less soy sauce, food high in salt and so on to restrict salt intake.
Moreover, you should take part in some exercises. I still remembered that there is a renal patient who kept on food restriction and exercises when he took 4 tablets of prednisone. After 3 months’ treatment, his weight reduced from 64.5 kg to 54kg. Now he stops medications, but his weight gains. Therefore, it is very important for you to control your food intake and do exercises.
How to weaken the side effects of steroids for Nephrotic Syndrome patients? Now you clear about it. If you have any other questions on kidney disease, or you want to know more knowledge about it, you can leave a message below or contact online doctor.